Intercultural Communication Competence
- Features an overview of intercultural studies
- Students will learn about cultural awareness, developing intercultural competence, dimensions of culture, and cultural briefings
- Course offered in block style and meets daily in the mornings and afternoons
This course features an overview of intercultural studies and focuses on the knowledge, skills and attitudes for communicating effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Cultural awareness (What is culture?)
- Developing intercultural competence (Communicating effectively with others)
- Dimensions of culture (Theories of culture and communication)
- Cultural briefings (Becoming familiar with diverse cultures)
This course aims to assist students in developing an intercultural skillset and mindset.
- Developing a conscious understanding of one’s own culture
- Using frameworks for understanding cultural contrasts
- Having a clear understanding of how to use cultural generalizations without stereotyping
- Communicating effectively in an intercultural setting
This is an interdisciplinary course. Students and working professionals from all academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The course has open enrollment and students will be admitted on a rolling basis. Maximum capacity for the course is 20 participants.
This course is also open to students from the Hessen-Queensland, Hessen-Massachusetts, and Hessen-Wisconsin Exchange Programs.
Students will earn a total of 6 ECTS points for the successful completion of the course.
Intercultural Communication Competence has a total of 45 in-class contact hours during the on-campus summer program. A single ECTS point is defined as the equivalent of 25-30 hours of student workload, which includes class hours, readings, preparation for class activities, as well as assessment measures.
The program fee is €850. Students who register before April 7, 2024 benefit from a reduced fee of €750. Students who are currently enrolled at partner universities of Frankfurt UAS are eligible for the reduced program fee of €750 at any time before the application deadline on May 5, 2024.
What is included in the program fee?
- 2 weeks of academic courses
- Course materials
- Public transportation within Frankfurt for the duration of the program
- Opening and Closing Events
Apply now for Intercultural Communication Competence!